Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help! Sony Vaio does not recognise CDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhillPOD

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a Sony Vaio Laptop that will only play DVDs. Mysteriously, CDs of any sort are not read, registered only a 'blank disc' message. I'm guessing that there's a querk in the software somewhere; have i tampered with something I shouldn't have or am I victim of a virus?

I've heard tell that loading Norton Anti virus software can sometimes create this problem on PCs but have not yet found out the remedy.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? All suggestions gratefully received; i'm tired of transfering stuff using my work PC and IPOD!

Thanks

Humm strange, my samsung drive is doing exactly opposite it can read/write CDs but nod DVDs. I don't think its software problem your drive needs to change the wavelength of laser to switch between CD and DVD mode and for some reason it is not happening.

I would suggest going to a known good machine and making a bootable CD. Then change the BIOS setting on the Sony to allow boot from CD. On a cold power up, if it will recognize the CD and boot from it, then the hardware is OK. If it fails to boot, then a hardware problem is indicated.
At boot time, you are executing only the BIOS ROM code and any Anti-virus or driver issue cannot cause a problem because they are not loaded yet.

Thanks for your comments Banjo & Dipal_z, will pass on to a more computer literate friend who can try your suggestions for me.

All the best

If this is under Vista then it is part of a known problem.

Does it want to format the CD when you put it in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back