Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help required using ENC28J60.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

annna

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am back.. Nowadays I am working to learn PIC to PC interface via ethernet.... I have started studying various ethernet concepts and ENC28J60.... But I am having few confusions..... If I want to control only few LEDs via ethernet, what would be the basic steps to do... I want a step by step described list of things to do.... maybe any person who has worked before on some similar project can help.... Plus any articles etc that may help me are also required.... Oh and I forgot to inform that I have basic knowledge of SPI protocol so it will be the ENC28J60 part that I need to understand........

Hi Annna,

What model PIC are you using with the ENC28J60? The reason I ask is the Microchip TCP/IP stack is rather storage intensive and can require large amounts of Data RAM.

BigDog

Hi,
I am using PIC18F452 with ENC28J60

Ok,

One of the simplest methods for controlling devices on the PIC board, without having to write a program for the PC, is to use the HTTP feature of the TCP/IP stack in conjunction with a small webpage.

Microchip has such a demo in the TCP/IP Stack package.

Olimex also has a small PIC Web server board which could certainly give you some pointers:

Understanding PIC WEB boards and how to use Microchip's TCP-IP Stack

PIC-MINI-WEB development board Users Manual

PIC-MINI-WEB Product Page

Have you attempted to compile and implement the TCP/IP Stack yet?

BigDog

No not yet..... I first want to gather enough information about TCP/IP stack.... Should I read microchip's TCP/IP application notes... Will that be enough to make me able to understand implementation of TCP/IP stack

Yes, I would read all the of Microchip's Appnotes:

ENC28J60 Datasheet Stand-Alone Ethernet Controller with SPI Interface

Microchip AN1120: Ethernet Theory of Operation

Microchip AN833: The Microchip TCP/IP Stack

MCHP Stack v2.20.04.01

You'll find typically it is not hard to understand or use the TCP/IP Stack, but rather it can be difficult to adapt it to your device.

Most of the projects or dev boards which use the ENC28J60 and the Microchip TCP/IP Stack you'll find on the web have either custom headers, patches or both.

I may have some other examples or links which may help you with your project, if I find them I will post them for you.

BigDog

Reactions: annna

annna

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks BigDogGuru you are always helpful....

Last edited:

Hi,
I am stuck again, I started studying those application notes but they all get mixed up and I fail to make the big picture in my mind that what should I do... Can you please help me out.... If I want to toggle LEDs over a web page via ethernet.... Please tell me what should I do step by step in an ordered manner.....

Hi,

How will you be interfacing the ENC28J60 to the PIC? Is it a module, pictail board, etc?

BigDog

I will be making the basic ENC28J60 circuit on a circuit board....... That's all......

Status
Not open for further replies.