Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Help Required] Two Ethernet Port to One converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

faisalusuf

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear Board Members,

I came across a problem and have no clue to solve this. Kindly help.

Problem:

I want to build a circuit in which I will plug two Ethernet RJ45 port as input and one Ethernet RJ45 as output. I want to control the input ports to enable one at a time.

Which controller or buffer IC can be used to accomplish this?

Thanks
Faisal

ethernet is bi-directional, it is not "input" or "output". The very nature of ethernet is that there is two-way communication as part of the protocol. maybe you need to use a switch or router?

Thanks. But I want to control when to enable a port A or B from selector switch.

Thanks

You can use a few relays.

It isn't perfect as the connection through the relay won't have the correct charactersistic impedance . You should keep the two wires of each pair in the cable as close together as possible.

It will be fine if the cables to the ethernet ports are short. Not good if you are trying to run 1Gbps over 100m of copper coated aluminium cable.

There may be a better solution to whatever problem makes you think you need to switch between two ethernet ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back