Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help regarding a project[newbie]

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldwin0627

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
We were asked to create a device that would use a computer. Serial or parallel port can be used as a transmission media between them. the requirement is that the computer should send an information to the device to light a specific LED, then when the LED is turned on there should be a trigger switch[tact switch] that would send a signal to the computer meaning that it has been seen. basically Computer would light the LED and the Tact switch would turn of the LED. additional requirement it that it should LOG the time the LED lighted and the time the tact switch is pushed.... PLEASE help really a newbie in this.

Be more specific, How many led's and switches you need to control?

Can you use a microcontroller (if you are using serial port you need one)

Where did you started and what did you did till now?

Nandhu

We can use a microcontroller. aleast 12 LED should be paired with 12 tact switch. as a group we still are trying to find the appropriate device and program to make the expected output. the things we've seen are quiet complicated so we try to find the best solution [in terms of program and device]. thanks you for your reply

If you use a 8 bit-microcontroller , that should do the work. and you can program it easily also. for the initial phase you can use the signals from the computer connected to your microcontroller via serial cable, to light the led, and tact switch to turn off the leds.

If you are able to understand till this part do tell me and moreover as you stated you are looking for best solution for it, can i know what you came up with.

Good luck

Do you have a schematic diagram for this? We have a small background regarding 8051 microcontroller. but we haven't had any computer interfacing with it. we just use the computer for programming the microcontroller. thank you for your reply. we are totally new in this scenario. can you also add a sample program that we could study for this matter.

Can anyone suggest a simple code for a 8051 microcontroller that would help us attain our requirements. we are desperately in need of help. thank you..

dont u like to use PIC??

visit this web site..it will tell u little bit about PIC..serial interfacing and Visual Basic..

thelocxresearch.tk

Currently the available microcontroller and programmer we have is for 8051. Do you have any programs that might help us in doing this project. thank you

owh..sory..i dont know about 8051..
but i know much about serial commnication using PIC if u nid help..
:D

aldwin0627

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Can u send me a sample program using PIC. i think they are similar in some ways. thanks for your help.

from what i understand from your post , is that you want to construct a sort of 'reaction tester ' and want to measure the response time.

computer should light led.
a switch press tells computer that ' i have seen led on' and
computer should again turn off the led .
display the time of 'response'

is it ?

it can be done in 8051.

Yes, Can you give us a schematic and program for this. So we can study it and try to finish our project. it would be a great help for us. Thank you

Sorry Aldwin
I dont have any 8051 programs to give away rg8 nw..
Can u tell what have you done in the poject?

Good Luck

We are reading the 8051 manual so we could understand how the computer interfacing would work. my groupmate told me it would be easier if there is an existing program that we can study because we can ask our professor help regarding that program but unluckily we haven't obtain a program near our desired goal. thank you, if someone is willing to give us a there program we truly appreciate it.

aldwin0627:

now my sample program for pic using BASIC has been upload to my website..

click at the PIC Program Section..u also can see the sample circuit for evry each sample program at Circuit Collection section..

www.thelocxresearch.tk

aldwin0627

You can use hyperterminal (windows default) or create your own using VB on the computer side.
On the hardware or microcontroller side, if you know basic C programming, its easy to program the 8051 for serial communication, try googling UART(serial port) interfacing using 8051.

aldwin0627

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back