Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help redesigning simple ignition coil driver cct to use NPN transistor instead of PNP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Err404

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Here's the circuit:

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~wkahan/TransIgn.pdf

It's simply designed to ensure that on an old engine with the spark controlled by points the points will not have to carry the current for the coil.

I have access to some BUV46 NPNs
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/SGSThomsonMicroelectronics/mXyzqqvu.pdf

Vce = 400V, Ic = 5A

So I think I can use two in parallel to allow the Vce = 320V, Ic = 10A needed for the original design.
I'm confused as to how to drive the NPN bases in this alternative circuit.

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks for the link - I think I follow the example cct okay.

I am just wondering about the original cct's design - I notice that it has a 2.5mH choke shunting the coil.
Can anyone explain what purpose this has in the original circuit.
It seems to me that there is no equivalent inductor in the suggested RMCYbernetics cct.
I have already purchased the Chokes for making a batch of these circuits so I would like to use the principles of the original design if at all possible - But clearly I want to use a Si NPN where a Ge PNP was required & I realise this may change things far too much, so if you can help me then I will be majorily impressed - as I can see it's a big ask!

I don't want to put too much into this antique circuit, but I assume that the inductor's purpose is to achieve maximum fast transistor turn-off. I think, that it's basically a clever, low-part count solution under the given prerequisites. But there are of course alternative ways to achieve the same with a NPN or NMOS switch.

Reactions: Err404

Err404

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back