Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help on zn449e analog-digital converter setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightningEagle

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

As stated in the subject, I am looking for help on using a zn449e analog-digital converter.

I have looked through the datasheet several times without getting the feeling of enlightenment. Maybe I am just dumb, but I can't get to a working setup for some reason.

I have tried to recreate the setup on page 12 in the datasheet, but without luck.
I am primarily puzzled by BUSY, RD, CLOCK and WR.

I hope someone here might be able to help me.

The zn449e is meant to communicate with a PIC16F628A or rather, the 8 pins for the 8 bits are to be connected to PORT A on the PIC, which is meant to store the value.

Thanks in advance. : )

Hi,
Check it as simplest version, maybe as "continuous conversion" or standalone ADC...
You can find more simple ADCs i.e. from National:)_if you wish.
K.

It's quite an old device!

Basically, look at the pins this way:

BUSY = a conversion is in progress so don't read the outputs yet.

RD = enables the output drivers, turn them off until needed if the outputs share a bus with other devices. Usually, the pin is called something like 'output enable'.

CLOCK = moves to the next successive step in the conversion process. You need to toggle this bit as many times as there are bits in the result you want.

WR = starts the conversion process, think of it as a 'start conversion' signal.

Hope that helps!

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back