Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help on choosing a DSO: GW Instek or Tektronix

Status
Not open for further replies.

matbob

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I'm planning to buy a DSO, mostly for my hobby purposes(private use) and I would be using it for FPGA and microcontroller based projects. I have been doing some market analysis and came to a point where I should choose between two models:

1) TDS-2012C from Tektronix --
100MHz, 2 channel, 2Gsps on each channel, 5.7'' TFT display, 2.5 kilo points memory, approx price(all inclusive): Rs.75000(around $1670)

2) GDS-1102A from GW-Instek -- **broken link removed**
100MHz, 2 channel, 1Gsps(I think it is combined), 5.7'' TFT display, 2 mega points memory, approx price(all inclusive): Rs.57000(around $1270)

Both comes with lifetime guarentee.

My questions are:

a) Does the memory depth really matters and if it does, in what all cases?
b) Which model should I choose? Would the extra amount spend on Tektronix really make a difference?

Comments about GW-Instek's performance from someone who has hands-on experience would be really helpful.
Any recommendations for other models/make are also welcome.

Thanks,
matbob

I was told by a very senior engineer, whether we DO really need "storage" oscilloscope.

otherwise stick with traditional oscilloscope with cathode ray tube.

Hi;
I am not an expert on this topic but considering in this manner;
ie when you want to observe any signal on a large time scale (i.e 10ms which corresponds reasonable frequency around 50hz for digital video systems). Since memory depth is limited, (I think) scope firmware will automatically reduce the number of sample points. This means you can miss some glitches or short duration pulses because of reduced sampling rate.

It comes to me logical, so I think it is better to pick a high memory capacity model, but on the other hand I have no experience on GW-Instek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back