Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help needed: Interconnect capacitance using HFSS/Sonnet/any other EM simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

gladiator91

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
I am trying to simulate the following interconnect structure from ptm website:

http://ptm.asu.edu/images/local_electrical.gif

The specs are: W = 0.10 um, s = 0.10 um, l = 100 um, t = 0.20 um, h = 0.20 um, K = 2.2.

I want to calculate C_ground and C_couple.

To calculate C_ground first, I implemented the structure in sonnet with only one interconnect(instead of 3 shown) but it gives a negative value of capacitance. Please correct me if i am wrong but the capacitance value given by sonnet is series capacitance(as mentioned in Sonnet) but what i want is the capacitance between bottom surface of interconnect and lower ground plane.
I used thick metal model(Copper) in Sonnet for the interconnect.

Now the problems are:
1. What does series capacitance exactly mean in reference to the structure implemented(url above)?
2. How can i calculate capacitance between interconnect and ground plane instead of series capacitance?
3. Why is the capacitance coming out to be negative?

I'm a newbie with EM simulators.
Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.
Also, please tell if there is any way i can upload my sonnet implemented file for analysis or finding errors in implementation.
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back