Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help needed in driving Bipolar Stepper motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shohaib1

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i am trying to drive bipolar stepper motor, i have got no special bipolar stepper motor driver IC, instead i m using a Power supply which can give current upto 1A,
first of all, i found resistances between different terminals,
which found to be...
RED-------9.7 Ohm-----yellow
orange----9.7 Ohm-----blue

Now i connected RED with +5V and yellow to blue to gound,
But i am unable to get rotation, but instead i get jerks only,
and motor produces SOUND like high frequency SssssssEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

So please guide, what i am doing wrong,
I have tried much, but in vain...........
2 paint files are available for better description of what i am doing
Note:
motor is from a old floppy drive,
5V, 1.8 degree motor

I think its better for you to use driver IC's, I recommend for you L297 stepper motor controller with L298 dual h-bridge IC, you will need both of them to control your bipolar stepper motor, beside you will be able to control your motor speed and direction from either a PC port (e.g. parallel port) or from microcontroller.

let me know if you had any problems.

what do u mean by Dual H-Bridge??
do u mean that there are 2 poles so we need one H- Bridge for each Pole??
i was started on thinking like this because 4 transistors were required for a single H-Bridge like:
SEE the attached link........
Driving Bipolar Stepper Motors

and if there are 2 poles, then we will require 8 Transistors, means 2 H- Bridges

Dual H-bridge: 2 H-bridge circuits inside the IC.
driving the bipolar stepper motor coils requires to invert the polarity of the applied voltage on the coils to move the motor, so the H-bridge will give you this.
this IC (L298 ) is capable of handling up to 2A current, so my opinion don't use transistors and use this IC instead.

Thanks sir,
i am cleared on the point, I have checked the motor by giving pulses to its coils in specific sequence and it works as desired,
Now i just want to ask,
which switching transistors should i use for switching in motor??
I want to use discrete components, no ICs, So please list me some switching transistors, Which can be get easily......
is 2N2222 will work??
or BC547 will work??

So please list me some switching transistors
I think you can answer the question yourself by calculating the currents. It should be capable at least of 0.5 A for your motor, better get some margin, e.g. using 1 A switching transistors. I guess you'll want to have complementary types, and you shouldn't forget the free wheeling diodes. In my opinion, using compementary MOSFET reduces the part count considerably, you can drive them by CMOS logic and don't need separate diodes.

Thanks sir,
i am cleared on the point, I have checked the motor by giving pulses to its coils in specific sequence and it works as desired,
Now i just want to ask,
which switching transistors should i use for switching in motor??
I want to use discrete components, no ICs, So please list me some switching transistors, Which can be get easily......
is 2N2222 will work??
or BC547 will work??

y u don't want to use any IC ??

check this out

YouTube - how to control CDROM Bipolar Stepper motor

MOD: I see you ulpoading your video's or suggesting the youtube video of your projects. But just showing video does nothing but advertising yourself and your products. So you may continue that in the advt section meant for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back