Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Scale Law in Integral

Suppose ∫ f(x)dx = F(x)

then ∫ f(c•x)dx = F(c•x)/c

Anybody knows what if c is a complex number, will the scale law still hold?

Re: Scale Law in Integral

hi,

as of such, there are no rules that say the contant shouldnt be a complex number. Complex numbers only convey more information abt a signal( for that matter) which has in addition to the magnitude in ordinary numbers, the phase content of the signal. And u would know it can again be represented in the magnitude phase form also. Moreover, sqrt(-1) also is a number, with additionaal interpretations, would explain this. It would absolutely satisfy the theorem! below, i have attached the Mathematica code.. and its o/p for u to verify

hope this helps, and clarifies ur doubt!

/cedance

Scale Law in Integral

Am,

I am getting lost in your explanation. My puzzle is just a pure mathematical integral question. It isn't related with the understanding of complex number or imaginary part of it.

I can't use Mathematica to verify every single function to prove or disprove the law.

I don't have clear memory about this question, which must be clarified by my college calculus instructor. But I do remeber there's certain codition for this scale law holding. It must be related with the poles of function in the range of the integral. Anybody has a clue of it?

though i dont find anything different in ur reply, i hoped the above explanation was alright! anyways, to conclude whatever i have in mind, and trying to convince u,

it doesnt matter, whatever bla bla bla is inside the scale law, if it isnt a function of x and iff it isnt a fun of x, then the law holds good.. be it complex, sinusioidal, hyberbolic or what ever it is... u could have thought of a simple example... just... cos(sin a * x) here sin a could also be written as difference of complex exponentials...

when u integrate this... what would be the result? i think it s obvious, the result holds true... i am not in a position to explain more.. with ur question. may be if u could reply with ur doubts more precisely(for me), i would be in a position to.. but i see no rule or point in having a different law incase of complex exponentials!

btw, the example given, i dint ask u to input every example in mathematica... i wanted to makle u understand more clearer. that s it! u should know, i wouldnt ask u to input any function in mathematica or so!

/cedance

Am, Ok. What you said is the scale law holds in any circumstance, no matter c is a real constant number or complex constant number. (If I don't misunderstand your point). Nevertheless, my colleagues disagree that. They thought it must be some limitations when expanding to the complex region. As I said, the poles of complex function are required for extra treatment.

I give out a simple contradictory example here,

∫cos(x)dx=sin(x)

Is this right: ∫cos(i•x)dx = sin(i•x)/i ???? i=√-1

The answer is not.

Eular Indentity tell us: cos(i•x) = [exp(x)+exp(-x)]/2, sin(i•x) = [exp(-x)-exp(x)]/2

∫cos(i•x)dx = ∫ {[exp(x)+exp(-x)]/2}dx = [exp(x)-exp(-x)]/2 = -sin(i•x) ≠ sin(i•x)/i

Mathematica, Matlab, etc are good tools for scientific or engineering numerical calculation. But for some fundamental stuffs, they're always screwed up. I wouldn't rely on computer for basic math problem.

dear dazhen,

wad u hav mentioned is quite interesting,,,,,

however, i hav some doubt....how do u prove this one

Code:
cos(i•x) = [exp(x)+exp(-x)]/2, sin(i•x) = [exp(-x)-exp(x)]/2

i only know the cosθ = [exp(jθ)+exp(-jθ)]/2, sin(θ) = [exp(jθ)-exp(-jθ)]/2j

could u prove it to me,,,from Eular Indentity??....

thanxs....

dazhen said:
Am, Ok. What you said is the scale law holds in any circumstance, no matter c is a real constant number or complex constant number. (If I don't misunderstand your point).

You got it right

dazhen said:
Nevertheless, my colleagues disagree that. They thought it must be some limitations when expanding to the complex region. As I said, the poles of complex function are required for extra treatment.

poles has nothing to do hre.. till its a constant. remember its constant and not a variable!

dazhen said:
I give out a simple contradictory example here,

∫cos(x)dx=sin(x)

Is this right: ∫cos(i•x)dx = sin(i•x)/i ???? i=√-1

The answer is not.

all i can say is ur formula is wrong.

cos (x) = exp(j*x) + exp(-j*x) [Am leaving that constant here for convenience]
cos(hx) = exp(x) + exp(-x)

dazhen said:
Eular Indentity tell us: cos(i•x) = [exp(x)+exp(-x)]/2, sin(i•x) = [exp(-x)-exp(x)]/2

∫cos(i•x)dx = ∫ {[exp(x)+exp(-x)]/2}dx = [exp(x)-exp(-x)]/2 = -sin(i•x) ≠ sin(i•x)/i

for ur question:

cos(ix) = exp(i*i*x) + exp(-i*i*x) = exp(-x) + exp(x) = cos (hx)

=> ∫ cos(hx) = sin(hx) = exp(x) - exp(-x) = exp(-i*ix) - exp(i*ix)
=> expression = -(sin(hx)) = sin(ix)/i
which is true!

dazhen said:
Mathematica, Matlab, etc are good tools for scientific or engineering numerical calculation. But for some fundamental stuffs, they're always screwed up. I wouldn't rely on computer for basic math problem.

i understand ur confidence in u, but dont underestimate these programs! moreover, get ur basics right. it would solve the confusion. there s no disadvantage or degradation in working with a computer program for solving math. if u would know how to solve.. its a real headache banging ur heads on it.. this time i have typed it here.. u could see... its the most difficult thing... to type math... i could have used mathematica.. but to convince u! hope uget it right! am actually a bit tired after typin this! carry on mate!

/cedance

arunmit168 said:
for ur question:

cos(ix) = exp(i*i*x) + exp(-i*i*x) = exp(-x) + exp(x) = cos (hx)

=> ∫ cos(hx) = sin(hx) = exp(x) - exp(-x) = exp(-i*ix) - exp(i*ix)
=> expression = -(sin(hx)) = sin(ix)/i
which is true!

arunmit168, what is cos(hx)? hyperbolic function? what is expression? what's the difference, the integral and the expression? one is the other's negative. i don't know your meaning.

try this..............

dazhen said:

dazhen, second one is not right. sin(i*x)=[exp(i*i*x)-exp(-i*i*x)]/2i. that's why you get the wrong conclusion.

dazhen

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

I think you're certainly right. I'm wrong at that point.

yes. cos(hx) is hyperbolic. its expression is same as that of Cos without the "j" inside it.. (for understanding).. that s,

cos(hx) = exp(x) + exp(-x) /2

hope i have written it there.. and there s no difference i see between the one u have given and that of mine.. the expression u used it direectly... is the one i have derived.. that is.. cos(ix) = cos(hx).. which i have proved and u have used!

similarly.. for sin(hx) = sin(ix) * i good luck!

/cedance

Status
Not open for further replies.