Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me understand CPU specifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

zahrein

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Understand CPU Specs?

HI ALL i need to understand the PC SPecs especially the CPU. Can you elaborate on the realations on these 3 things?

1. Cpu execution speed
2.Register size
3. Data bus width

Any meaning and relations for them?

Re: Understand CPU Specs?

CPU execution's speed depend on the technologies it have, for example if the CPU is 32 bits, it can process 32 bits of data at once. nowadays, most of processors have pipelining technologies, pipelining means parallel processing, but pipelining can't execute the same instruction at once, and if the instruction have branch instruction, it would need to use branch prediction.

register is the memory that is near to the CPU, so the CPU fetch any instructions directly from register, if the register's size is bigger, the CPU won't need to waiting the register to receive data from cache memory or main memory, so it can work faster (no delay), but it also depend on the memory mapping method, the most efficient is set associative mapping.

the data bus width, the more width the data bus, the more data can be send through the data bus, it would be probably mean the cpu could work faster since the data delivered to the cpu in faster way. for example, if the data bus is 8 bits, while register want to send 32 bits of data to processor, it would need 4t to send data to process, but if the data bus is 32 bits, it only need 1t, so it is faster.

is it right, please give me correction.. thank you.. :)

Understand CPU Specs?

What about clock?

The higher the clock frequency, the faster the CPU can a sent the data?

The relations?

Understand CPU Specs?

The higher the clock frequency, the faster instructions can be executed. A computer can perform 1+1 twice as fast with clock speed 200mhz than 100mhz.

clock is use to synchronize the work of the processor, the higher the clock frequency, the faster the cpu can fetch and execute the instruction. it would mean the data is transfered faster if the clock is higher..

for example if we transfer data in serial, it's depend on clock, if the clock is higher, the data would transfered faster.. as we know the memory is contain amount of flip flop circuits, the flip flop depend on clock to work, if the clock frequency is higher, the transfer rate of the memory would be faster too..

is it right? please give us any corrections if it is wrong.. thank you.. :)

david90 said:
... clock speed 200mhz than 100mhz...

Oh, my
200mhz or 100mhz ? - I've never seen a CPU with such a low clock frequency ;-)

You have probably forgotten that lowercase and uppercase letters are not the same!
m ... mili = 1/1000
M ... Mega = 1000 000

btw. also "hz" is correctly Hz

Eric

hiye,

what david says was right but the speed of cpu also depends on instructions. for instance. amd cpu sometimes have lower clock speeds compared intel but at certain operations. amd sometimes perform better.

regards,
mengghee

zahrein said:
HI ALL i need to understand the PC SPecs especially the CPU. Can you elaborate on the realations on these 3 things?

1. Cpu execution speed
2.Register size
3. Data bus width

Any meaning and relations for them?

All these things you can find from google!

Understand CPU Specs?

nowadays processor you have different coreclock or system clock which runs at higher speed in the ragge of 100MHz to 4GHz but it is not possible to bring the same speed in connection to the external bus and pheripherals due to signal integrity. so normally external bus speed ranges from few MHz to 1GHz(changing).

and about the bus width larger the bus width larger the memory bandwith and complex the signal integrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back