Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me solve an algebra problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

wcz

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
could anyone helps me to solve the following question

a^2 + a - 1 = a^3/2

what is a?
is this equation can be solved?
Thanks

Re: algebra problem

try to solve it numerically

here is a method :

by trial and erreor

a(new)=a(old)^(3/2)-a(old)^2+1

and put an inital value for a in the right hand side (say =0.5) and get the new value for a(new) .. sub with this value again in the right hand side... and so on till u statisfied with the accuracy...

if u find the solution diverts,, try to change the a(new)

eg.

a(new)=(a(old)^2+a(old)-1)^(2/3)

there r many other numerical ways to solve such problems..

another way is to use the fx2 algebra casio calculator :p :b :p

I didn't think that he mentioned a(new) and a(old).

If we assume that we have ONLY one "a":
Squaring both sides:
[a^(3/2)]^2 = (a^2 + a -1)^2
a^3 = a^4 + a^3 - a^2 + a^3 + a^2 - a - a^2 - a + 1
a^4 + a^3 - a^2 - 2a + 1 = 0
I think that this form of equation can be factorized, but I didn't remember how :'( :'(

eng_Semi is on the right track! You don't need to factor the equation. Any algebra book will have the formulas for determining a closed form solution. Basically, you resolve the 4th order equation into a cubic equation with a change of variable. You then solve the cubic using Cardan's formulas.
See, for example "Handbook of Mathematical Tables and Fourmulas" by Burington, or the CRC Math tables (Not the exact title, but I don't have my copy handy).
Regards,
Kral

Set x=a^(1/2). Then your equation becomes
x^4 - x^3 + x^2 - 1=0
which can be factored as
(x - 1)(x^3 + x + 1) = 0

Therefore, you have a solution x=1, which means a=1.

As for x^3 + x + 1 = 0. Algebra tells you that any rational solution has to be a factor of the const term which is 1 in this case. Therefore, you have only two choice, 1 or -1. Direct substitutions show that none of them is the solution of x^3 + x + 1 = 0. Thus, you are left out with only irrational solutions.

Further analysis can be done as follows. Set
f(x)=x^3 + x + 1
Take derivative
f'(x)=3*x^2+1 >0
which means that f(x) is an increasing function and, therefore, has only one real solution. The other two are complex solutions.

wcz

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

an algebra polynomial equation containing degree 4 or less can be solved by a formula in terms of radicals.

algebra problem

hi, I Know that many people have different methods and want to solveit by algebra but the answer can be found easily by just setting a graphic, a^2 + a - 1 = a^3/2 change to a^2 + a - a^3/2 = 1, you will seee that the only number for "a" to acomplish these constraints will be the number one, what you can do also is to derive it

let f(a) = a^2 + a - 1 - a^3/2 and plot the function by matlab or any equation graph program.
read the points of intersection between f and a - axis » (f = 0) then it will give your answer .
if there is no inersection so there is no answer to this eguation

mas

Status
Not open for further replies.