Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Boolean Algebra

Status
Not open for further replies.

cahlucas

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,

For a programming project I am dealing with Boolean algebra which I cannot figure out. It's about minimizing gate logic using Petricks method. For those of you who are not familiar with this, I have added a link at the bottom. The part that I can't figure out is just after the part where it says: = (K + LM) (N + LQ) (P + MQ). I cannot follow how the Bolean algebra ends up on this, given the formulas in the text. I hope that maybe someone among you is very adept at this and can explain it to me. Thanks in advance. Kind regards, Karel.

Take the first two terms or the original equation:
(K+L)(K+M)
and expand:
KK+KM+KL+LM
According to the 'XX=X template, this becomes:
K+KM+KL+LM
According to the "X+XY=X" template, the first two terms reduce so the equation is now:
K+KL+LM
Apply that template again and you get
K+LM which is the first term of the reduced equation they give.
Repeat for the next 2 terms of the original equation and again for the last 2.
For the next line in Wikipedia, expand the first 2 terms and, applying 'XX=X', remove any duplicated letter.
The last line formed by doing the same process again.
Susan

Status
Not open for further replies.