Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me choose the optimum value of charge pump current

Status
Not open for further replies.

savithru

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all,

I need to operate my pll around 200MHz. Lock time is not a criteria..

For me Jitter is the main Criteria.( My VCO is Ring type which has very bad Jitter performance..)

Now Can u pls guide me what is the optimum value of Charge pump current , I can choose.. Is that 25uA is very less?

Does the Icp has any effect on Jitter?

pls reply

Thanks & Ragards
SavithRu

Re: Charge pump current?

I don't think that determining the optimum value of the current isn't staight forward. High current values will lead to higher Kd which helps to decrease the required minimum value for Kv thus decreased noise at the output for different noise sources .However, increasing the current will lead also to higher gm thus more noisy charge pump .This would require iterations at the design .

savithru

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: Charge pump current?

change the architecture of VCO, becoz VCO contributes more jitter than charge pump

i.e. use differential type ring oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back