Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Help in Understanding Frequency of Analog PWM Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

hshah8970

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everybody.

I've been using the analog PWM generator of which the schematic you can find here: **broken link removed**

While I understand the functioning of the circuit, I'm unclear as to how the frequency of the PWM waveform reduces to that mentioned on the page.

For people who'd prefer not to click on the link above, I'm attaching an image with the circuit schematic and the frequency equation.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Humza.

111.png

U1A is an integrator with a time constant of RC (Vo = -Vin x t/RC).

U1B is configured as a comparator with hysteresis (difference between the high and low trip points) as determined by R1 and and the positive feedback from R2.

When the triangular wave from U1A reaches one of the trip points of U1B, U1B changes state and the integrator starts charging in the opposite direction until it reaches the other trip point. Since the Op Amp is a rail-rail type, the output voltage of the comparator will be a square-wave, oscillating between ground and VCC. These are the two input voltages to the integrator.

Using the above info you can calculate the frequency of the triangular wave oscillator consisting of U1A and U1B.

How to get this formula:
1. triangular-wave swing (difference between max and min. It is also comparator hysteresis) Vs= Vcc * R1/R2
2. integrated voltage Vint(t) = 1/RC*Vcc/2*t
3. If calculate time, that is necessary for Vint to reach Vs, it will be t= 2RC*R1/R2
4. FREQUENCY PERIOD T = 2*t = 4RC*R1/R2. Hence frequency F=1/T=R2/4RCR1

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.