Help! How do I recognize the pinouts of a jack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabzi

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I'm a beginning student and I hope I am posting this in the right forum section. I need to find an audio jack to match the one in a schematic I have.
I have a schematic of a 3.5mm 3-conductor audio jack (shown below) and a photo of a 3.5mm 3-conductor audio jack (also shown below). Problem is I don't know which connection in the schematic corresponds to which connection in the photo. Could someone help me out?
Also, in the schematic, are pins 1 and 2 shorted together? If so, does this mean I could just use a 2-conductor jack?

Thank you,
Sabzi

The schematic isn't of a 3-conductor jack, but a 2-conductor jack with a switch.
Pin 3 is connected to the case - A
You can't tell from the picture which pins the other 2 are. However, it shouldn't be hard to figure out. When you insert a plug into the jack the 'tip' of the plug will contact pin 1.
Pins 1 and 2 act as a switch - shorted when no plug is inserted, open when a plug is inserted.

sabzi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Then does this mean that when the plug is inserted, pin 1 is open but pins 2 and 3 are shorted together?

No - the plug and jack "bodies" will be connected (pin 3). The 'tip" of the plug will be connected to pin 1, and pin 2 will not be connected to anything.

sabzi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…