Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help for MC34063 converter IC circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

matin-kh

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,
I want to use a MC34063 IC to convert 20 vdc to 8 vdc, but my problem is that I can't calculate the parameters. according to attached picture I have the equations but I don't know what is "ton" or "toff" or "fmin" and what is the Vripple of my circuit!, could you please help me?
Regards
Matin
Untitled.png

Hi,

As with every IC: The manunfacturer give enough ducumentation, information, software, calcuation examples:

MC34063A is from ON Semiconductor.

goto their website: https://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolutions/product.do?id=MC34063A

then go through: "Technical Documentation & Design Resources "

And:
A switch mode controller is not a simple circuit. Not for beginners. You need a lot of experience and follow the design rules.
Forget to run it on a breadboard.

Klaus

Your requirement is step down conversion (20VDC to 8VDC)
t on/t off = duty is the duty cycle ( Duty = 50% or more generally )
fmin is the minimum frequency
Vf is the diode forward voltage drop (.5V)
CT is oscillator frequency setting capacitor you can vary the PWM frequency by varying CT value
V ripple is the ripple voltage present in the output, you can have decided the ripple by varying Co(output capacitor)
L min is the minimum inductance required
Hope it will help you

Read the data sheet carefully everything is given

Status
Not open for further replies.