Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help: calculate the mean of maximum of multiple Gaussian r.v

Status
Not open for further replies.

changfa

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to calculate the mean of maximum of K i.i.d. Gaussian r.v.s., each with N(mu, sigma^2).

let M_K denote max(x1,x2,...,xK) and it is straight forward to show that the CDF of M_K is (F(x))^K where F(x) is the CDF of N(mu, sigma^2). Then the pdf of M_K is given by K*(F(x))^(K-1)*f(x).

The final step is to calculate the mean value of M_K as
E{M_K} = \int_{0}^{+oo} x * K*(F(x))^(K-1)*f(x) dx.

Does anyone know if there is close-form expression for this? or how to numerically calculate this integral in Matlab? (I tried but failed)

Thanks a lot!\]

Re: Help: calculate the mean of maximum of multiple Gaussian

This can be done (a close form) for K=2 easily, and I doubt there is a way to get it for K>2. By the way, shouldn't the lower limit of the integration be -∞?

Re: Help: calculate the mean of maximum of multiple Gaussian

The random variables for my case have physical meaning and are positive, therefore, I think the lower limit of the integral is -oo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back