Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Helmholtz Coil Simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swoopoo

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

how would one start with simulating helmholtz coils at 2.87 GHz in HFSS? I couldn't find any material online. Can you approximate the current * windings as the current through a single loop? Is there a way to excite lumped ports with a current instead of a voltage or do I have to calculate a voltage at the inductor ports in order to excite the coil with a desired current?

Thanks

A Helmholtz coil is a magnetostatic device, operating at DC or low frequencies. The current in all windings is in phase and capacitive effects can be ignored.

At microwave frequency, the current in individual windings is phase shifted due to finite propagation speed and also affected by interwinding capacitance. You need to model the actual winding geometrie to get a realistic current distribution and field picture of the coil, which is quite different from a single loop.

Last edited:

Unfortunately, at the targeted frequencies the impedance of the coils becomes so large, that a resonance circuit would be necessary with a capacitor in the femto farad region with a voltage rating that is practically not feasible. Thanks anyway!
--- Updated ---

I'm not sure about the loop, but yes, you can excite current sources on a surface between the two terminals. HFSS->Excitations->Assign->Current
Unfortunately not. I can only assign voltages (lumped ports) or power in watts (waveport).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back