Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Heatsink with additional forced cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

kekon

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is there a way to calculate thermal resistance of a heatsink with a fan assembled on it ? (provided we have power dissipated in the heatsink, its geometry and thermal resistance, fan m3/h, ambient temperature etc.).
I thought of carrying out some experiments by try and error method but it doesn't seem to be accurate.

Because of the difficulties in determining where the airflow is actually going (30% more to front left hand , none to back right hand etc.), as you say its a difficult one. Constraining the air to flow through the heat sink would be the most effective. I have seen hi-power heat sinks like a square tube with fins pointing inwards and designed so a fan will fit straight onto its end. Of course it helps if the air has a clear exit too.
Frank

Airflow & its distribution can't really be known without fancy setup,
but you should be able to get a temp rise for some level of thermal
power input and that ought to be good enough.

Calculating, I would not bother. The quality of data / quantity of
unknowns is too poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.