Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] heath/zenith wireless doorbell chime connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidbenjamindix

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i purchased a heath/zenith wireless doorbell chime kit (model # SL-6147-WH) that runs off of (2) 1.5 volt batteres, which produces 3V through the doorbell. i then detached the speaker, and am trying to use the doorbell to power a 3V DC motor. (range 1.5-3V). the volts running through the wires where the speaker was soldered is about 3.1V. the motor works because i've tested it with 1.5V and 3V. also, when i depress the push button for the doorbell and the motor is connected, i can hear the vibrations of the 'chime' through the motor. the problem is that the motor is not turning when i depress the button. i wondered if maybe the signal being driven to the motor is sound signal only? are there resistors that need to be taken out? or maybe a transistor? im just starting to learn about electricity, so i definitely need help.

You can buy ready made RF transmitter and receiver modules from digikey and other sources.

If the door-bell was a traditional 'bell & striker' or a stand-alone, DC-powered 'sounder', your plan might work. As it is, I reckon the speaker is fed with AC, which will not turn the motor continuously...

You *could* try feeding the AC to a small bridge rectifier and its DC to the tiny motor. You'd lose 1.4 Volts to the diodes, but the motor may spin...
Diode bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IMHO, it would only need 1 Amp & 50 volts rating-- The latter because of the Back-EMF 'spikes' off the motor...

Status
Not open for further replies.