Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Having trouble with using proteus 7.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

headman333

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have installed my proteus 7.6 succesfully but when i used them them it does not function well. It cannot put or drag a component to the drawing board. I have had consulted the help menu and follow its instruction but still it poses the same problem. When I try to run its examples specifially its interactive examples, one of its features is that when the circuit runs and i try to increase or decrease a potentiometer it stops and posts so many errors, and the circuit disappears on the board.
Is there anybody have the answer what is the problem with this?

I have an hp computer with intel processor and microsoft OS.

One Gigabyte maybe your problem, especially if you have any other nonessential processes or programs running as well.

Have you tried powering down, rebooting and only running Proteus?

BigDog

---------- Post added at 02:25 ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 ----------

I have four GBs in my WINXP box and there are times when I have to close applications to get Proteus to perform correctly.

I have tried it, same problem exists. So you mean I have to upgrade my RAM? or is there any other way?

I have tried it, same problem exists. So you mean I have to upgrade my RAM? or is there any other way?

You many have to add RAM to your system. I assume your running a 32-bit Windows OS.

So,let us see how much RAM you actually have available, which by the way is different than the installed amount.

Open the Control Panel and click on the System Icon. After the System dialog box opens look towards the bottom, you should see an amount of memory displayed.

It will be listed right after the speed of the processor.

What is that amount?

Next lets check the virtual memory paging file. Leaving the System dialog box open click on the Advanced Tab. You should see three buttons, Performance, User Profiles and Startup and Recovery Settings. Click on the Performance Settings button. Then click on the Advanced Tab, look towards the bottom you should see Virtual Memory.

What is the Total Paging File Size listed?

BigDog

Amount of memory displayed: 0.99GB
Total Paging File Size: 756MB

You're right i'm running on a 32-bit windows OS.

You could try increasing the Total Paging File size. There is a button in the same section you retrieved the value. Increase it to 2048MB. It may allow you to run Proteus, however it will be slow going.

If you do not have any success, you'll probably have to increase your RAM to 2GB at least.

BigDog

Also, what is your processor? Besides RAM, Proteus really sucks up juice out of the processor! Your processor must be good at single-threaded apps as Proteus is a single-threaded application. Since there is only 1GB RAM, I'm suspecting the processor's pretty weak too. Also, when I switched display to OpenGL, I found some improvements (not sure how), but I don't think your PC comes with discrete graphics and Intel onboard graphics are nowhere near impressive (also, they can't handle OpenGL).

my computer now runs with 2046MB total paging file size and it increases in the speed for my proteus...but this proteus that i'm using now is the older version. It has great result, I will install the latest version soon...
My computer runs with Intel pentium 4 CPU 3.0 Ghz.

I was confident the issue was the memory.

I'm glad you resolved the problem. You may also want to bump up your virtual page size to 4096MB, due to your memory upgrade.

BigDog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back