Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

hardware implementation for optical port communication

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaswat

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to implement a communication port for my energy meter. For simplicity, I want to communicate via optical port to the meter. So what are the aspects that I have to keep in mind before designing the optical port communication port. Thanks
Any idea would be really appreciated

I think you have to decide on the optical system, speed, distance to give you attenuation for the different systems. Then you can select a suitable medium, i.e. glass or plastic. This will then determine the connectors and hence the transmitter and receiver.
FWIW In 1980, we decided on an optical link between two points about 30m apart. The system was so over powered that it would not work until the photo detectors were unscrewed and two layers of an old polythene bag was inserted as a light attenuator.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.