Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hardware Design interview questions!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranjith_r

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hardware Design !!

Hi All,

1. What are the factors u consider in selecting the components for a design( other than application specific. ). Actually its a interview question.

2. How do u determine whether a board is a high speed or not .( suppose if u say with processor speed 500 mhz , then what will be if the processor speed is 490 mhz )

Thanks in Advance
Ranjith R

Re: Hardware Design !!

1. Cost
2. I don't know. Perhaps look at the IC chips in used, and how the routing is done.
If the trace length is > 1/10 of the signal wavelength,
I think the board can be significant enough to be considered as high speed board.
Transmission theory will have to come into the picture.

Best Regards,
Siong Boon

MODERATOR - SIGNATURE LINKS ARE NOT ALLOWED

1) cost, availability( will this component be available durring the lifetime of the product), reliability( ex. for caps )

2) if signal wavelenght is less than 10*trace length.

Selecting a component is a very general question. Let us say you want to select a processor for your application. The choices are numerous. First of all we would like to see if all the requirements of the application are satisfied. The cost will come second. The availability of reference design will come next. With the three factors being same for two processors, the availability of software will be the next thing.

As for discrete components, for, example capacitor, the cost and the series inductance can be the deciding factor.

For inductor, the quality factor, current handling capacity are the things to look for besides price.

And yes the most important thing is, as some one pointed out - to have a feel of the availability of the component for a long time. A number of times I have been pissed off by manufacturer making the component obsolete or not recommended for new designs.

Hardware Design !!

hi can anyone help me in designing the hardware of the inverter(capacitor bank and ac filter and igbt driver)
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back