Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

hard circuit can u help ( crystal diode modulator))

Status
Not open for further replies.

capacitor1

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi

it's a hard circuit with the explication

i didn't understand it, is it logic !!!!???

Crystal Diode Modulators

The crystal diode modulator (fig. 2-17) consists of a diode bridge and a transformer network. When the ac reference voltage is applied to transformer T1, diodes CR2 and CR3 conduct during the negative half-cycle. Conversely, diodes CR1 and CR4 conduct on the positive half-cycle. The diodes will conduct

under these conditions because of the 180º phase reversal across T1. Current flow during the positive and negative half-cycles is represented by dotted arrows and solid arrows, respectively. Suppose a positive, dc error signal is applied during the negative-going ac input half-cycle at the primary of T1. Current will flow from ground, through the upper half of the primary winding of transformer T2, through diode CR2, and through the upper half of the secondary winding of transformer T1 to the dc source. This produces a positive-going voltage (error signal) across the secondary of T2 (the first half-cycle of the output signal).

15221img27.gif

Figure 2-17.—Crystal diode modulator.

On the positive-going ac input reference voltage half-cycle, current will flow from ground, through the lower half of the primary of transformer T2, through diode CR4, and through transformer T1 to the dc error signal source. This produces a negative-going voltage (error signal) across the secondary of T2 (completing the cycle of the ac input reference). Notice that the error signal is 180º out of phase with the reference signal.

If a negative dc error signal is applied to the modulator, under the same conditions of ac reference signal, current flow through the circuit will be reversed. Keep in mind that this occurs, for example, when the load approaches the desired position from an opposite direction. This circuit will work with either a positive or a negative dc input signal, but only one condition will exist at any given time.

With a negative dc error applied, current will flow from the dc error signal source through diodes CR3 and CR1 (on different half-cycles of the ac reference) to ground. This causes an ac voltage to be produced across the secondary of T2 in the same manner as previously described with the positive dc error signal input.

The only difference is that current will flow through the upper and lower halves of T2 in a different direction (toward ground) and cause the output to be in phase with the ac reference signal.

In summary, the modulator produced an ac output, either in phase or 180º out of phase with the ac reference signal, depending upon the polarity of the dc input signal. The amplitude of the output will be proportional to the dc input signal amplitude and at the frequency of the ac reference voltage.

Hi Mr FvM

the ring modulator is special for AM modulation, but in this circuit i want to know how a DC signal is converted to AC??

I understood that if it's a positive dc input voltage ==> the ac signal is in phase
and if negative, the ac is out of phase .

but how the output ac signal is proportional to the input dc, where's the multiplication??

how a 50 VDC per example is converted to 50sin(w*t)

i hope you can help me

thanks

Operation of double balance mixer ring modulator is the same in modulation and demodulation, in both cases performing a kind 4-quadrant multiplication.

If the carrier or reference AC has a sufficient high level, the diode ring work effectively as a switch, multiplying the IF or DC input with +/- 1 and generating nearly a square wave output signal in case of the DC input.

At lower carrier level, the diode characteristic achieves an analog multiplication, but according to the non-linear diode behaviour also generating higher oeder products.

hi Mr FvM

I understood what you said ::
If the carrier or reference AC has a sufficient high level, the diode ring work effectively as a switch, multiplying the IF or DC input with +/- 1 and generating nearly a square wave output signal in case of the DC input.

but in this expression::

At lower carrier level, the diode characteristic achieves an analog multiplication, but according to the non-linear diode behaviour also generating higher oeder products.

you mean for Vd<=0.6 per example ??

if the ac switch the diode with 0.6 V , so we have no linearity so we have multiplication ??

Rd=a*V^2+b*V^3+------(noy linear)??

V=Vdc+Vac

??

is that what you mean

Can let me know please ?

thanx

You have an exponential diode characteristic. Then the sum and difference of Vac and Vdc is applied to different parts of the circuit. Results in a non-linear equation that can be solved for each instantaneous voltage.

Easily done in a circuit simulator, rather involved in a hand calculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.