Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

handwheel potentiometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

banh

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,

i need to find something like a car steering wheel, and its funtion is like a potentiometer, i.e. as you turn the resistance changes.
anyone knows where to buy sth like that?

thanks.

Does the wheel have to rotate 360° or more? If so than maybe a normal potentiometer and some sort of gearing can do the trick. Something similar to the inside of a servo motor.

I've thought about doing something similar but lean towards a different approach. I would use some sort of a quadrature encoder on the wheel axle to generate a series of pulses. This can go into a cheap little uC to then drive an electronic pot, iif a resistive output is desired output or used directly in a microcontroller.

The big advantage here is that you don't use mechanical parts that can wear out. I think you would need to get a pretty good pot to have a reasonable life span. Also, wear on a pot will likely change its linearity.

Phil

i found building this is very tough for me. SO i bought a car racing game set (including a steering wheel + a few buttons on it)+accelerator and brake pedals. The steering wheel is based on potentiometer.

Besides, the set is not so expensive.

The electronic approach is propably better suited, as there is no mechanical wear or design and the electronic pots have a good lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back