Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GSM/GPRS & GPS antenna movement question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny-B

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all! I'm new in this area so i apologize for some newbie questions that i'm going to ask. So to make a long story short, my first question is how does rotation of the device (GPRS and GPS) influence signal strength (physical model - imagine a cell phone attached to a 10 cm (4 in) long cord on one end and the other end of the cord is in your hand spinning the phone around 200 rounds per minute) ? Does circularly polarized antenna solves the problem ?

Thank You in advance.

yes actually, the antenna of the GPS is circularly polarized to ensure reception of a signal regardless of antenna orientation

but the antenna in new mobiles is not a cord, it is recently a printed antenna (example microstrip antenna) or a dielectric antenna (example ceramic antenna)

in addition to above, the antenna bandwidth must include the frequency of operation of the service (GSM, GPS, etc...) with low mismatches and losses

Flashking thank You for a quick reply.

So, basically, if i design my own GSM device with circularly polarized antenna it will work regardless of relativly fast rotation ? Does speed of rotation (or RPM) have influence on signal strenght?

I think you are right but it doesn't matter much

beacuse no matter how much you rotate there will be some signal received and the low noise amplifier will do the rest

you can read about an interesting topic regarding your question (Polarization loss factor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back