Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GSM Antenna ESD protection power level

Status
Not open for further replies.

salmanmahmood

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I am interfacing a GSM antenna with some circuitry and need advice on the ESD device selection. Please guide me what should be the power handling capacity of the ESD device (as in power dissipation level). The GSM module I am using has an output power level of 2W.

Thanks in advance

Regards,
Salman

Europe Standard: Contact +-8KV,
China CMCC: Contact +-10KV
Your country standard: ?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I am from Pakistan where the GSM frequencies are in all four bands (850,900, 1800, 1900 MHz). However, I am concerned about the power level of these pulses. I need to know what should be the power rating of the ESD protection device that we should use.

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Salman

Hi,

We are targeting IEC61000-4-2 for ESD protection. The contact discharge is +-8KV and air discharge is +-15KV. However, we need to know what should be the "power" level of the device selected for ESD protection.

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Salman

yours is the same as the Europe standards.
what do you mean the power level?

The attachment shows waveforms and component values for these tests from which you can calculate power.

Attachments

• TI - ESD testing standards.pdf
    813.9 KB · Views: 117
What device will be destroyed by ESD on your phoneboard?

Nowdays,the front-end module in GSM phone,such as PAMs are all integrated ESD protection circuits which could pass the +/-8KV or +/-15kV ESD test. Additional ESD protection circuit will add your cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back