Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Group Delay in Active filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankqt

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am a newbie to the analog world. I am building an OOK system and I don't quite understand something.

As a background, My carrier frequency is 5MHz, the OOK system works such that the presence of 5MHz carrier would indicate 1 and lack of it would indicate 0.

I have designed an active filter using TI's filter Pro application and simulate it. It works however the problem is that the filter takes too long to stabilize due to group delay. So, if my data rate is high (say 200KHz), filter cannot catch up and it blurs between 1 and 0. At least on simulation.

How can I solve this problem?

As a side note, if I use two filters (low pass, <5.2MHz) and high pass (>4.8MHz), I do not see such delay as opposed to BP filter, I also don't get this.

I have designed an active filter using TI's filter Pro application and simulate it. It works however the problem is that the filter takes too long to stabilize due to group delay.

I doubt that this is a problem of group delay. I think it's a question of settling time. Therefore, Keith's mentioning of the filter Q.

Last edited:

Got it.. When I reduce the Q, the filter become much faster, now I get it. What is the relationship (some sort of rule of thumb) between settling time and Q?

Also, what is the relationship between settling time and Carrier frequency? (In other words, say for 5Mhz carrier, if I want to have a 500Khz bit rate, what is the maximum settling time is recommended?)

I cannot remember the exact formula, but the number of cycles a high Q filter takes to settle is proportional to Q (there is probably a pi somewhere in the formula). As LvW says, it is the settling time due to Q not group delay that is the problem. Group delay in itself just creates a delay.

Keith.

Thanks Keith. I have done some research and you are right, the sharper the filter the longer it takes to settle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back