Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Grounding of Anti static top surface - ESD protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

engr_joni_ee

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have a new table which is my electronics work bench. The table has anti static top surface. I am not sure how to connect the table to ground. There should be a conductive terminal that should be connected to the conductive plate under the anti static top surface but I don't find it. Should I just tighten the screw under the table and connect a cable to ground with 1 M ohm resistance in series ?

Hi,

Wood is antistatic, cotton, too.
No need to have a screw to be antistatic.

It just means the volume is not completely isolating ... there is a high impedance that helps to dissipate electrical voltage.

Klaus

Hi,

How about to make sure if I do the test with ESD meter and Electrodes. I guess if top to top and top to ground resistances are in the mega ohm range than it should be fine.

More important than what the table is connected to, is that you are connected to the table with a ground-strap whenever you are working at the table.
The goal is to keep you and the device you are working on at the same potential at all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.