Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Grounding in analog layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

keeli

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
can anyone tell me the advantages and disadvantages of having ground plane in analog layout ?
Is it better to have separate ground lines or a plane ?

Hai

To my understanding analog grounding is separated from the Digital grounding to suppress the latch up effect introduced by digital circuitry. On the other hand ground planes serves as substrate noise shield, for high frequency circuit application. If you observes in a conventional inductor layout there would be PGS(Patterned Ground Shileding) where it isolates the inductor's circulating current from the substrate. Hope this helps

Rgds

You mean in PCB or IC design. The fact is that in PCB design both digital and analog ground can be isolated. So any switching noise of digital component hase no influence on digital ground. It is very important for RF and high-resolution ADC application where detected signal a few uV.
In IC design analog and digital grounds cannot be isolated completely, because all component use the same substrate.

I am doing pure analog IC design without any digital blocks.So, I want to know for pure analog circuits like limiting amplifier or transimpedance amplifier , is it better to have a ground plane or just ground lines which fulfill the current density requirements ??? Thanks.

Power/ground planes aren't present in the chip, but on the PCB; so your IC design ha snothing to do with ground plane.
IC power structure has usualy rings around the chip.

Grounding strongly depend on your application so specify for an accurate response. Usualy inside an IC you provide both VCC and GND lines as thick as possible, however for example in a micropower application this loose sense.

As far as I know is not a usual practice to provide a full gnd plane as you do in PCBs. Probably because you have a limited number of metal layers (normally 2-3 in analog technologies), and always result dificult to route if you assign a full layer for GND. Also you increase parasitic capacitances etc.

What is a usual practice is to provide as much as possible GND contacts to substrate, close to all your transistors (of course respecting same sorroundings in matched devices). I have seen layouts that once finished fill all empty spaces with a grounded metal layer plenty of substrate contacts where possible. These kind of layout ressembles a GND plane.

As pointed out by other messages, preserve separated digital and analog supply (and Gnd).

Ian

avoid latch up
reduce the noise
protect the circuit

Hai:

The importance of ground planes and several ground lines is highly dependant to the frequency of application, it could be observed in some layout ground planes sorrounds the circuitry in order to prevent stray charges, where it could highly degrade the dc biasing of the circuitry, hope this helps.

Rgds

I have a question about adding guard rings in mixed-mode ICs:

When adding guard rings, place them as close as possible to digital or analog part?

You need place close to the largest current path to avoid noise.

It doesn't need too close. You can add more rings instead of one ring.

its better to have separate ground plane for digital and analog due to current injection introduce in digital circuit .Which can cause substrate noise where it would higly degrade performance analog circuitry .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back