Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Green coloured PCB's protective layer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpk123

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HI all,
I want to know how to make green coloured pcb's that is what is the protective layer over the PCB.They say it is GREEN LACQUER what should i tell to the paint shop keeper coz he is not getting that word LACQUER.I am from INDIA i want the name of that lacquer so that the person will understand.i want to make a pcb one like this
[imghttp://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/davent/IMG_1162-1.jpg[/img]

Green LPI soldermask.

Basically green mask or green laquer is a PCB raw material which is not available or known to paint dealers. You may enquire any PCB manufacturer or PCB raw materal suppliers for the same. The same is printed on to the PCB with Screen printing process...Cheers

pranam77 said:
Basically green mask or green laquer is a PCB raw material which is not available or known to paint dealers. You may enquire any PCB manufacturer or PCB raw materal suppliers for the same. The same is printed on to the PCB with Screen printing process...Cheers

Actually i dont know any pcb raw material dealers.i askd in the electronics store where i but components and stuff even they don have idea about that.Actually i searched on the net and got to know that ill be able to get it from paint shop but have a problem with the name.So wanted dat exact name dats all.

Green laquer is available only as a PCB rawmateral and may not be available in small quantities. If you are looking the said stuff for coating home made PCB's from preventing oxidation, a transparent laquer is available here locally which costs 65/- per 100ML. If you are intrested, and pay me the cost plus courior charges, i can send it to you...Cheers

For the Protective layer one can also use liquid tin instead of Green Laquer. It makes the PCB a bit Shinny which appears good. But it didn't give you the great looking green pcb. It is easily available in any chemical shop

So wanted dat exact name dats all.

This link describes what "lacquer" is: Lacquer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lacquers have been used for ages and there must be an equivalent word in your language. The material used for PCB's is often an acrylic lacquer. You can solder though an acrylic as the heat makes it decompose and evaporate. You probably want an transparent green (or other color), so you see the traces. I use the acrylic lacquer from MG Chemicals. Clear fingernail polish is an example of a clear lacquer; however, I believe older versions were often a cellulose-based and not acrylic. They should also work. The modern decorative fingernail polishes may be acrylic. The label should tell you. Another source is the American brand, Krylon. It is sold in automotive stores in spray cans.

Note, not all clear finishes are lacquer. In the automotive field, the trend has been to catalyzed finishes, like polyurethanes, that are more durable. They would also work for protection, but are much more difficult to remove should you need to do that. I strongly suspect most versions could be soldered through, but have not tried to do that. Perhaps your dealer will put a drop on a PCB and you can test it. Non-catalyzed polyurethanes are also becoming quite common as clear finishes for wood working.

John

Solder resist is an epoxy. Its pretty much the same stuff that holds the glass together in the pre-preg.

Since the entire copper side, including the pads, was covered with the green coating in the image provided, I assumed the OP wanted a coating material that would allow one to solder through it, such as a conformal coating, not a solder resist.

John

Cant see the photo, but goto ask WHY!
Making PCB's and adding solder mask is a standard way of working, surface finish on pads is also well documented.
WHY add somthing to a pad that is probably going to contaminate the solder.
Why add somthing as a solder mask that will react with the solder (burn off, wotever), the solder mask is there for a reason, if you are going to do a PCB why not do it properly and have a proper solder mask, there for a reason....

That looks like a PCB where the solder mask openings have not been defined, ie wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back