Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Gm/Id Design Methodology

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdmi

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
gm id design

Hi,

I have read a few papers regarding the gm/id design methodology, but I don't seem to completely get the concept. Can anyone walk me through with the included example circuit?

Assuming I have already have the following charts
1. gm/id vs. inversion level
2. ID/(W/L) vs. gm/Id
3. Intrinsic Gain vs. gm/Id
4. fT vs. gm/Id

Questions:
1. Any more charts should I prepare?
2. Since different color coded transistor groups serve different purpose, for example M1 & M2 are gain stage, so is M6, and M5 and M7 are current sources/active load, etc. Obviously the characteristics that we are looking for from each transistor group is different, (for example, I don't look into Intrinsic Gain for transistor group M5 & M7, or do I?) so for each different transistor groups, what gm/Id charts I should look into to get the characteristics I am looking for?
3. Even thought I have the frequency chart (fT vs. gm/Id), how and which group of transistors should I apply the chart to?
4. Or do I completely misunderstand how gm/Id works, if so, can anyone walk me through in a correct way?

How about offset, mismatch and noise? How do I get those information from the chart?

gm/id design methodology

I have same problems as you and from several papers that I had read, early voltage is needed to complete the transistor sizing.

Gain equation and so forth can be expressed with gm/id, and VA I guess....

Anyway, do you know how to find gm/Id vs Id curve?

many many thanks.

gm/id based analog design method + is it new

hdmi:

There is a new book called:

Tradeoffs and Optimization in Analog CMOS Design (Hardcover)
by David Binkley (Author)

might be helpful to you.

btw, how do you plot gm/id vs IC?

the gm/id design me

I have this problem as well..

top papers in analog gm/id

Kindly find the attachment, and you'll get the way, how to plot everything Vs. everything upon Cadence !!!

Regards,

Reactions: bsaft

bsaft

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.