Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

glitch prevention in Power On Reset circuit ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmos_ajay

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am working on the power on reset (POR) circuit. I used a basic bandgap core to make a ZTAT voltage that is given as a reference to the comparator (-) input. The bandgap core is supplied by VDD which rises very fast. The voltage being monitored is a divided version of VDD. I need to make sure that the bandgap ZTAT voltage comes first and sits at the (-) input of comparator. After that the other comparator input (divided version of VDD) arrives. In other words, I need to 'slowdown' the divided version of VDD. If this is not done, then there will be a glitch in the output of the POR circuit.

How can I do that ? Is there a soft start or some other mechanism ?

Diagrams or technical document will be helpful. Thanks.

"backstop" it with some other reference that lights up earlier (like say a resistor
and mos VT, diode, etc.) and make the reference side a pair. Add dV/dt triggered
clamping that covers the fast risetime. Etc. Figure out what's dogging you and
patch it.

Hello dick_freebird, Can you provide some diagram to explain your ideas ? Many Thanks.

Generally, you need a bandgap-OK signal generating circuit, and some delay after the bandgap-OK signal, then enable the comparator.

How about having vbe1 and vbe2+IR to compare? Make sure vbe2 is always less (by having a higher multiplier ratio of the 2 bjt's). So initially when the supply is less, vbe1 will be greater than vbe2 (with I quite small) and as supply increases, I becomes significant and vbe2+IR crosses vbe1. The I and supply threshold can be controlled by resistor division over the bjt's. Ofcourse there could be some delays but night not be significant? Does it help?

To slow down the VDD divider, a capacitor can be added.
I am working on the power on reset (POR) circuit. I used a basic bandgap core to make a ZTAT voltage that is given as a reference to the comparator (-) input. The bandgap core is supplied by VDD which rises very fast. The voltage being monitored is a divided version of VDD. I need to make sure that the bandgap ZTAT voltage comes first and sits at the (-) input of comparator. After that the other comparator input (divided version of VDD) arrives. In other words, I need to 'slowdown' the divided version of VDD. If this is not done, then there will be a glitch in the output of the POR circuit.

How can I do that ? Is there a soft start or some other mechanism ?

Diagrams or technical document will be helpful. Thanks.

Ajay,
Are you able to find solution for the problem you have stated related with glitch. Can you help me on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back