Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Give me advice on selecting parts for RFID system

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilomanga

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I really need to hear opinions and suggestions.

I'm a computer science student at the American University in Cairo, Egypt (AUC). We are going to implement an RFID system as a senior project for next semester.. this will be due at the end of May. We are going to develop a system for a store (on a small scale). We'll have two shelves, with each shelf having certain amount of items. We need these items to be detected at a 1 meter range (we wanted it to be at a 2 - 3 meters but that seems to be impossible with our budget, which is $1000). Is that distance possible in the HF range... I've only seen really expensive HF readers that read up to a range of 40 cm. max.

NOW, is it possible to purchase some tags, and 2 RF readers with that range (1 meter) with the budget of $1000. If not, is it possible to design an RF reader (I know it is, but I'm not an electronic engineer)? If I do design the RF reader, will it be able to read multiple tags? How about anti collision, will I need to implement it with software?

PLEASE HELP US!

Re: NEED HELP AND FAST!

If I were you, I would contact with the RFID product manufacturers or their representative, and they will give a solution.

I know TI(www.ti.com) has RFID products.

Regards

It really deponds on the power level that you are using to drive the loop. Usually, you may not be able to reach that range, although we reached a similar level range with a very high level power (5 W).

Hmm... UHF can go for longer range as the principle of operation is similar to that of radar. HF can go upto 1 meter but again depends on your system and the antenna gains.

coming to the anti-collision in RFID... reader can service ONLY one tag at a time. Still the collision can be handled using anti-collision algorithms... one such algo is binary tree algorithm...

Hope this helps... There are many RFID manufacturers in the market today... Find one of them and get more details

Status
Not open for further replies.