Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GHz scale to THz...enable by simulation tool!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Insang Woo

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello.

I am going to try the comparision about two kinds of simple dipole antennas(eaeh 1000 times scaled).
One is (~100mm-long & 3mm-wide) and another is (~100um-long & 3um-wide) which have same metal conductivity and same metal thickness.
The former will operate in GHz, the latter in THz.

Then. they should show same results (*.my interest is in "the antenna input impedance" and "radiaton pattern in directivity") or not ?

!! I am useing two programs. one is IE3D and another is CST MWS.

anyone who know about this topic... advise to me. plz.

It is very important how you model the metals. When making simulations at THz range you should use a realistic model for the material dispersions. You may start from Drude dispersion model.

Insang Woo

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,

Maxwell's equation only scale if you have not losses... As soon as you introduce losses the scaling does not work anymore.

Quick Check:

The Skin depth of a metal with 5.8e7 S/m at 1 GHz is 2.09 µm -> at 1 THz it is 0.07 µm. Scaling would require that it is 0.00209 µm.

F.

Insang Woo

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back