Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Generating +12v and -12v from 24v

Status
Not open for further replies.

polus

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to be able to generate +12 and -12v from a 24v supply. Can anyone prod me in the direction of a stable cost effective method?

Much Appreciated!

One option is so called "virual ground" ..
https://tangentsoft.net/elec/vgrounds.html
Without going into details, it is like dividing the input voltage into 2 identical halves ..
If, however, you need (or prefer) to keep the same ground as the input voltage, you will have to use a step-down voltage converter (linear od switching) to produce +12V and a dc-dc converter to generate -12V of +24V or of +12V ..

Regards,
IanP

polus

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Ok, Thanks Ian.

Its a cost saving issue. The system has 24v, 12v, -12v and 5v. Buying a powersupply with these is resonably expensive and Im sure theres way to just have a standard 24v supply and then have a small amount of analogue circuitry to supply the voltages.

I look into the terms you have used :)

Dear,

Such as Ian I think you should use DC/DC Converters.

Take a look at attached Datasheet.These DC/DC converters are available @ Farnell.

(they are also available at higher power/Current)

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.