Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

General Question on Transistor Sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

npsnpsnps

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
This is a general question on sizing of transistors. I would like to know if there is any generalized way to start designing a circuit (deciding on transistor sizes) for all the applications. I know the length is same and depends on technology. But how to adjust the width ? Does the sizing or the W/L ratio depend only on the circuit I am designing or is there any general flow or starting point for this ? Any tutorials or documents or key points to keep in mind when sizing a huge circuit with lot of transistors would be helpful (key points for example - When designing NAND or NOR, Inverter is taken as reference)

W/L ratio problem is essentially more complex than you can imagine.Because this ratio impacts many operating specifications of the transistor such as noise,linearity,speed,thermal issues etc.
Therefore this is a compromising problem rather than simply choosing a W/L ratio.Depends also on the process which you intend to use.

Adding to my OP, what are the key points to be considered while sizing when I go down the technology. For example a transistor has W/L = 4 for 180nm technology (W=720nm and L=180nm). If I want to design in 45nm, should I increase the width by 4 to 128nm or increase it further as the technology has scaled down by a large margin.

For digital everything will be minimum L (provided
you agree with the foundry's "use model" that
underpins the reliability assessment). In some
cases you might (say) bump the NMOS L to rough
match min-L PMOS strength at equal width.

Width is for drive strength, and the required drive
is unknown for a custom analog block, or set by
some user:developer chest-bumping in library
development. I have commonly seen a series of
min-W (what sets min, varies) gates plus drive
strength increments.

Min-w could be set by AA lithiography minimum,
by contact-to-AA, or larger by interests such as
minimum of 2 contacts per region (for yield /
reliability) or a desire to have a routable lane
between one S and one D contact in larger,
silicide strapped S/D regions (min W is then about
3-4 X litho min, consisting of 3 contact, 6 oversize
and 2 metal spacing).

There are flavors of logic library (speed, density, power)
and there will be different width-trades taken. Rules of
thumb that are generally and consistently useful, I am
not so optimistic - certainly unwilling to trust any over
my own param-fiddling and use-test-cases.

There's a "digital mindset" in the question itself. A starting point for general digital design: it's best to use minmum lenths and adjust the widths to match the nMOS and pMOS transistors.
For analog design, however, it's much more complex as post #2 stated and difficult to summarize in a single post. But books and tutorials are available. There are documentations on student design projects posted here as a reference: https://cmosedu.com/jbaker/students/students.htm under the students section.

Status
Not open for further replies.