Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

gate driver with optocoupler

Status
Not open for further replies.

aspirecole

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
if im using gate driver, do i need to add optocoupler as an isolation for the microcontroller

That depends on your gate driver internal structure..... IR2110 has isolation already I guess

if im using gate driver, do i need to add optocoupler as an isolation for the microcontroller

Isolation is not so often required for drive control circuitry, but mostly between Input/Output power stages.

+++

IR2117 doesn’t have internal isolator. If u need isolation u need to put external isolator or u have to select a gate driver with isolation.
You may require isolation to protect ur controller that depends upon ur requirement if u r using high voltage load or load can generate more noise and spikes or highly inductive or non-linear load or something like this.
Before IR2117 u can put one opto-isolator (ex:MCT2E) to give electrical isolation between controller and load side.

Without isolation also circuit work properly with proper protection circuitry like freewheeling diode, snubber etc. but when u connect ur laptop/computer with microcontroller debugging u should be very careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.