Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fuse Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rajinder1268

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am starting a automotive project, where the electronics will be powered from the 12V car battery.

The load current of my design is 0.9A maximum. I am looking to use a resettable fuse and have selected the following from Littel fuse
nanoASMDCH050F/24.
This has a working voltage of 24V (car battery charging can be at 14.4V), I trip of 2.5A. It is meant for automotive applications.
Looking at the rerating curve it mentions that at 80C, the trip current will fall to 60%. So 60% of 2.5A would be 1.5A, hence the circuit will have
protection at this temperature range. Does my theory look ok?

I am looking to add the fuse from the 12V supply, then the fuse and possibly looking at a reverse protection diode i.e. SBR Super Barrier Rectifier

I would appreciate any help or advice.

Hi,

It has a hold current of just 0.5A. This is too low for your application.

Mind: it has a power dissipation of 1.7W, thus you may expect a current of about 150mA when tripped.

Klaus

What about automotive circuit breakers, which are with the fuses in any
day-glo auto parts chain store? I use these on troublesome branches of
my vehicles. Self-resetting, though, rather than like residential circuit
breakers,

Hi,

Mind: it has a power dissipation of 1.7W, thus you may expect a current of about 150mA when tripped.

Klaus
Hi you are correct the hold current is too low for my application. I missed that. I have seen the following instead MF-LSMF185/33X.
Hold current is 1.85A, trip at 3.7A.
The only issue is that defeating at 85C the hold current is 0.85A.
Is there anything else I have missed out when selecting the fuse?
--- Updated ---

Hi,

Klaus
--- Updated ---

Hi,

Klaus
--- Updated ---

Hi,

Klaus
--- Updated ---

Hi you are correct the hold current is too low for my application. I missed that. I have seen the following instead MF-LSMF185/33X.
Hold current is 1.85A, trip at 3.7A.
The only issue is that defeating at 85C the hold current is 0.85A.
Is there anything else I have missed out when selecting the fuse?
--- Updated ---

--- Updated ---

--- Updated ---
Hi
I am a bit confused. If the power dissipation is 1.7W then at 12V, it is around 142mA. I always thought the fuse would trip at the iTrip value? Am I missing something?

Hi,
I am a bit confused. If the power dissipation is 1.7W then at 12V, it is around 142mA. I always thought the fuse would trip at the iTrip value? Am I missing something?
A poly fuse is a PTC.
This means on overcurrent it gets hot and thus it´s resistance increases. But it does not get "very high ohmic" it needs a lot of current to keep it´s temperature high. Mind: "when tripped".
It needs about 150mA to keep it´s temperature high.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.