Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Full-Bridge CLLC, high-side Mosfet Vgs self-turn-on

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinghero89

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am working on full-bridge CLLC, and the waveform I got is quite weird.
Is there anyone who has such kind of experience?

Screenshot 2023-08-08 230207.png

Solution
Cảm ơn mọi người đã hỗ trợ, tôi bố trí lại PCB và sử dụng gói Mosfet 4 chân và nhận được kết quả tốt hơn.

Thanks everyone for the support, I rearranged the PCB and used a 4-pin Mosfet package and got better results.
Sounds like you need a decent gate drive with low ohms ( turn off ) to ensure the device stays OFF.
I suspect the parasitic inductance of gs may cause the problem. The gate driver I used has max. current up to 3A, and i even didn’t use turn off resistor, just used an bypass diode, and the spike is still there.

There are many things that can be done to narrow down the cause of observed spikes. The parasitic inductance explanation sounds implausible to me, unless it's a weird circuit layout. But we need to see the layout details to check.
Another possible reason that should be considered is switching noise affecting the gate driver input side.
To check if the transistor is actually turning on, I would observe drain current with a suitable probe, e.g. small Rogowski coil.

There are many things that can be done to narrow down the cause of observed spikes. The parasitic inductance explanation sounds implausible to me, unless it's a weird circuit layout. But we need to see the layout details to check.
Another possible reason that should be considered is switching noise affecting the gate driver input side.
To check if the transistor is actually turning on, I would observe drain current with a suitable probe, e.g. small Rogowski coil.
My PCB layout might not be good enough. Please have a look at it and give me some comments. Thank you.

Attachments

• layout1.png
    layout1.png
    309.9 KB · Views: 59

it's no surprise if the gate driver impedance cannot hack the high frequencies involved in the gate rise scenario - relatively few are good here - have you tried a slower turn on in the fets . . . ?

it's no surprise if the gate driver impedance cannot hack the high frequencies involved in the gate rise scenario - relatively few are good here - have you tried a slower turn on in the fets . . . ?
in the beginning, I used 5.1 Ohm resistor to turn on MOSFET, the waveform you see earlier I used 11 Ohm to turn on MOSFET.

I check the input of the gate driver. It seems the reason for the spike, do you have any idea for solving the problem?

Attachments

• DSP_signal.png
    DSP_signal.png
    388.2 KB · Views: 62

Your PWM signal has a glitch or fault in it at high side turn off ! - try fixing that 1st . ! . ! . !

in any event try 22 ohm turn on, but make sure you have a back diode & 4.7 ohm for fast turn off ...!
--- Updated ---

where is your dead time ?

Dead time is around 200 ns according to waveforms, looks appropriate for a soft switching inverter in the 200 kHz range.

Good that you identified gate driver input signal as primary issue. According to post #3 schematic the single ended signal is connected through a pin header and possibly a cable, this will not necessarily work in a fast switching power stage.

Good that you identified gate driver input signal as primary issue. According to post #3 schematic the single ended signal is connected through a pin header and possibly a cable, this will not necessarily work in a fast switching power stage.
I used a separate controller board and connect to gate driver by twisting signal wire and header. The switching frequency is up to 160kHz. Is there anyway to reduce the spike?

Torroid core as common mode choke might help. Anything connected to DSPGND1 and 5A on the power board?
There is only an 100 ohm resistor connected to 5A to reduce the current goes through the input of the gate driver.

Do you guys think MOSFETs' rise and fall time is too fast? Should I reduce it to reduce the spike?

Attachments

• rise_fall_time.png
    rise_fall_time.png
    193.2 KB · Views: 53

That picture looks OK - it is the worst case you need to be concerned about
--- Updated ---

Please post a full schematic and pictures - otherwise we are all dancing around in the dark ....

and what does this really mean ?

" There is only an 100 ohm resistor connected to 5A to reduce the current goes through the input of the gate driver "

Does it mean each gate driver has its Vcc pin to the local 15V via an 100 ohm resistor ?

is there a 1uF cap after this resistor to stiffen up the gate drive Vcc ?

this is why we need a complete circuit diagram to make any head way here - far too many unknowns being drip fed every day or two ...

Yes, it looks like this
No, grounds are tied together. Might introduce additional common noise and is definitely a problem when you try to add common mode chokes.
Noted re dead time, but it appeared to be almost zero here:
No, Vds,hs and Vds,ls are expected to transit simultaneously. As usual for a soft switching inverter, Vds commutation occurs after low-side switch off.
Do you guys think MOSFETs' rise and fall time is too fast? Should I reduce it to reduce the spike?
It's quite fast for soft switching, but as far as I see determined by magnetizing current and Cds. It could be slowed down by switching FETs off extra-slow, unusual for soft-switching converter and mainly causing unwanted losses.

my assumption here is that the gate drive IC is very far away from the devices - without seeing the whole it is very difficult to offer cogent advice.

The poster should not drip feed information - but rather make a clean breast of the schematic and photo's to clarify.

This would stop a lot of wasted time with back & forth ....

my assumption here is that the gate drive IC is very far away from the devices - without seeing the whole it is very difficult to offer cogent advice.

The poster should not drip feed information - but rather make a clean breast of the schematic and photo's to clarify.

This would stop a lot of wasted time with back & forth ....
I understand. This is my schematic and gate driver layout PCB. The GND should be seperated. I will modify it and test it again. Thank you for your information.
--- Updated ---

No, grounds are tied together. Might introduce additional common noise and is definitely a problem when you try to add common mode chokes.

No, Vds,hs and Vds,ls are expected to transit simultaneously. As usual for a soft switching inverter, Vds commutation occurs after low-side switch off.

It's quite fast for soft switching, but as far as I see determined by magnetizing current and Cds. It could be slowed down by switching FETs off extra-slow, unusual for soft-switching converter and mainly causing unwanted losses.
Yes, you are right. Because I want the soft-switching waveform more clearly so I increased the magnetizing current. Do you think it is too high (about 12A max) for a full load of 2kW? By the way, the resonant inductor of the active bridge gets hot (up to 100 C degree ) when the converter runs for about 2 mins. Is it due to the high resonant current?

Attachments

• circuit2.png
    circuit2.png
    159.5 KB · Views: 51
  • bbb.png
    bbb.png
    274.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com