Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

frequency synthesizer phase noise simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmsheng

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Deal all,

Do you know how to simulate phase noise of frequency synthesizer?

I simulate it with @DS linear method, but the simulate result is 10dB better than measured result.

In phase noise simulation, all blocks phase noise are included (they are crystal oscillater, reference divider, PFD/CP, LPF, VCO, loop divider). The simulated in-band phase noise is -90dBc/Hz, but the measured in-band phase noise is -80dBc/Hz.

Can someone tell me what cause the difference between simulated and measured results?

Best regards,
hmsheng

it might be an incomplete transistor model in your crystal model. Some models dont include phase noise parameter. (it specifies as an exponent in the model but it is set to 1 (or 0) for most models )

i think boy is correct ,according to the transistor type u r using the noise may not by incooperated witn the model u can check that by looking up the noise parameters in the transistor model u r using.

Thank you all!

I've find the reason of high in-band phase noise. It's not the problem of devide model, but the noisy VDD of crystal oscillator! A bypass capacitor solves the problem. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.