Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

frequency divider question

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickwang

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, experts,
I have couple of questions regarding divider designs:
1. What's the main operating frequency for modern dividers ? > 2g?

2. Is the divider output a squre wave ? Is it required that the high level time equal to low level time ? If not , what's purpose of this type of divider ?

Thanks for any suggestions.

thanks vfone;
If anybody can give me some information on where an non-equal during time of high level and low level, I'll appreciate your help.
(I should say other than 50% duty cycle)

Regards.

Non-50% duty cycle only means the output has even harmonics. 50% duty cycle square wave only has odd harmonics.

Operating frequency of frequency divider depends on application. PLL needs a frequency divider.

And frequency divider output is not necessary sqaure wave. It depends on what type of frequency divider you are using. For example, digital static frequency divider would output a squre wave, while Miller divider or injection-locked divider would output fundamental sine waves. Of course, conversion between square wave and sine wave is simple:
Sine -> Square : adding a inverter buffer at output;
Square -> Sine: Adding a lowpass filter at output.

thanks jlee. It helps.
Furthermore, is it a deisgne issue if I can not get 50% duty cycle for a square wave divider?
Is it a good practice to always generate 50% duty cycle output ?

Anyway, thanks all.

Again, 50% duty cycle or not depends on the application...
But in most situations, I don't think it matters. For static frequency divider, the thing we concern is the rising edge or falling edge, not the duty cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back