Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

free tool for running Verilog/VHDL in win 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleung213

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all, I am a newbie for FPGA design. My background in EE is purely analog and I have done analog IC design for many years. But I need to learn how to do FPGA for my future job. I would like to learn how to do verilog/VHDL programming by myself and would also like to get some hands on experience from my own laptop. Can you guys recommend any free software tools to run verilog/VHDL in win 7? I don't need to load the program in to a FPGA board, such as a spartan 3 board. All I need is to be able to run some code and take a look at the waveform. Thanks so much.

Congrats on getting into a brave new world of digital design jleung213!

1) I'd install cygwin.

2) Try icarus verilog (iverilog) to sim Verilog designs Main Page - Icarus Verilog. This tool is very easy to compile and use.

3) asic-world.com has good free tutorials mainly for Verilog

4) GTKWave is a great free waveform viewer.

Good luck!

actel gives one year free license for its tools.

hock

You can get modelsim starter from altera.
Or look into GHDL that is completly free if you want a VHDL simulator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back