Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FPGA synthesizing real numbers??

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirintisar

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey Folks,
i am using a SPartan 3 and am trying to send data to the PC via a Datacard. The communication between the two is fine but there is a problem with the data coming in to the PC. I am using the verilog HDL with Xilinx ISE 6.3, and i have programmed the FPGA to send out an incrementing number from 0 to 100. When this data arrives at the PC, it is a much larger number, but it is incrementing. For example 321,322,323,324...u know what i mean !!. What is the reason for this??

Thanks !!!!!!!!

What is a Datacard? I searched Google, but too many hits.

Have you isolated the problem to the FPGA, the Datacard, or your PC (Windows?) program?

A datacard is something used to read in data (digital or analogue) from any external device, in my case digital. I have 16 bits leaving my FPGA and enterring the datacard. The datacard comes with dll's that you can call using VB,C++ and other higher level languages. Using these dll's, you can see all the incoming data from your Vb or C++ script. I am in the imaging business so i am generating images in my script. I know the datacard is working because it is being used by someone else who has it running perfectly.

I read a discussion on this forum once about someone mentioning that you have to use fixed point multiplication in FPGA's because they dont synthesize numbers. I cant find this discussion for some reason but i was wondering if anyone knew about this issue ??

Your datacard sounds like a parallel digital I/O card, such as from National Instruments.

I'm still not clear if you have isolated the problem to the FPGA or to the datacard/software. Have you written new software for the datacard that could be causing the problem?

I would use something like a logic analyzer to examine the FPGA output data, to see if it matches your FPGA HDL simulation. I hope you are using a simulator (such as ModelSim) to check your HDL.

I use Xilinx FPGA multipliers, but I don't know what you mean by "synthesize numbers". They multiply two 18-bit signed integers and output a 36-bit signed result.

Status
Not open for further replies.