Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

For the same simulation, does Gear method requires more points than Trap method

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich_HSV

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I was using NGSPICE ver32 to simulate a full-chip design, and I encountered a very peculiar number -141 Volts generated between 2 pmos. Here is my post in the NGSPICE forum. https://sourceforge.net/p/ngspice/discussion/120973/thread/5722f02293/

And I tested a few more cases and I found a trend that using Method Gear tends to use shorter time step, (which generates more points) and usually better results than Method Trap does. So can I say for a simulation with various time steps(we want the step to be as large as possible while maintaining the accuracy, so I set the maxStep to be a big number, (Tstop - Tstart)/20 instead of the default step given by the command) method Gear tends to use a more conservative step size than Method Trap does? Does anyone have literature/proof for my conjecture?

Check chapter about transient analysis from this book
I read that book again after you mentioned it.
"For a fixed time step, the most accurate of these methods in a local sense is the trapezoidal rule, followed by Gear2. ... but the trapezoidal rule would typically allow larger time steps and so require a shorter run time. ...
thus it is not usually the best choice when reltol is loose."
First, I understand that it is hard to say the default reltol(1e-3) is tight or loose without having the circuit in hand, but I assume the default one for a full-chip setting is loose.
"The higher-order backward-difference formulas are efficient when tolerances are tight or when computing very smooth waveforms."
Usually, Gear2 is the go to (not a higher order) and I would not say it is a higher-order method.

I tried to derive the relationship from the formula standpoint.

Gear2:\[ X^{n+1} = \frac{4}{3}X^n - \frac{1}{3}X^{n-1} + \frac{2}{3}h^n \dot{X}^{n+1} \]
Trap: \[ X^{n+1} = X^n + \frac{h^n}{2}(\dot{X}^{n+1}+\dot{X}^n) \]

F(t) = Gear2 - Trap with the assumption that \[X^n, X^{n-1}\] are the same timept under 2 methods, aiming to check who has a bigger \[X^{n+1}\] under different assumption.

\[ F(t) =/frac{1}{3} X^n -\frac{1}{3}X^{n-1} + \frac{2}{3}h^n \dot{X}^{n+1} - \frac{h^n}{2}(\dot{X}^{n+1}+\dot{X}^n) \]

Where can I go from here ?

Status
Not open for further replies.