Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

For help:question about ICMP

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyjb

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am doing a netwotk programming job,and have some questions about the ICMP.
what is the purpose of this protocol? when a packet of ICMP was sent,how does it travel,in TCP or UDP?
thanks for your help.

I don't know how this packet travels in TCP or UDP but I can tell what this is all about.

ICMP is Internet Control Messaging Protocol. It's used through out IP n/w. ICMP was designed to provide 4 feedbacks that are used to make IP routing efficient.
1. Reachability
2. Redirect
3. Timeouts
4. Router discovery

icmp doesn't use higher layer rather operates in ip protocol

ICMP uses both TCP and UDP and it is used as a troubleshooting protocol. Ping is a type of ICMP packet as well as Trace route.

ICMP doesn't use TCP/UDP. ICMP works in IP.

regards

ICMP is used for control and messaging over network.
Ping is one of the common applications of ICMP. it can also be used for tracing the path in network. Thats how Trace Route program is working. The presence of a host can be verified by ICMP. But it always possible to hide your presence by blocking ICMP selectively using firewalls like IP Filter or Norton Internet Scecurity, its just a per host configuration.

ICMP is running over IP.

Hey , ICMP one of L3 protocol , and TCP UDP from L4 protocol , so No relation

ICMP Don't use any L4 protocols , ICMP will opertae bet hosts as L3 face L3 in other side host

Status
Not open for further replies.