Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Flyback transformer design

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahilis

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, fellow enthusiast!

I am new to EDboard and a newbie to SPMS, and i have difficulties in flyback converter design. If someone could clarify a few things that i don't understand i would be most gratefull.

My idea is to make a FLYBACK converter, for charging a capacitor in my eletric fence design. I have made a flyback converter but i am not sure if it operates according to my needs.

Spceifications for flyback DC-DC converter are:

Vin=12V
Vout=600V
Iprimary=2A (max)
Isecondary=0.2A (max)
frequency=14kHz

I have made a 555 based driver for MOSFET with a duty cycle of approximately 51%. Problem is in flyback transformer design. I have constructed a flyback transformer of E32 ferrite core, N87 material, without airgap. I have wound 10 turns on primary and 115 turns on secondary. When i tested it, the results haven't been satisfaying. I have 120V on secondary instead of 600V and transformer seems to ring (EMI).
I dismantled the transformer and put a layer of eletrical tape on every layer of secondary winding. I also put a lot of attention to formly shape the turns on bobbin. So when a hooked it back for testing, I got 632V on my secondary but my MOSFET got really hot. What am I missing here? Any help would be most welcome.

Anyone?

I have made 2 small transformers. Based on E32 ferrite core. I have tested both but my DC-DC converter can not charge my 50uF 12'Vdc heavy-duty motor cap in 2s. I havbe made transformers from E32 ferrite core, with 0.5mm - 10 turns of primary wire and 0.2mm - 110 turns of secondary wire. I don't have an airgap? Is that a problem? If I add airgap to these transformers, how should I do that? I have read somewhere that a piece of isolating material like cellotape is used for making an airgap.

If I add an airgap, should I increase my primary and secondary turns of the transformer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back