Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Flip Flop area optimization....

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhanu.somisetty

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

Can anyone explain me how to optimize a Flip Flop for area???

Thanks

You can share oxide diffusion to make them more compact. Sometimes bending poly can also help but this not recommended due to process constraints.

on second thoughts, optimizing the flip flop area may not necessarily give you a smaller area, routing spacing/density will start to affect the place and route.

Hi

thanks for the reply

in terms of circuit design of FF's can you give me some guide lines...

any method to follow to design a standard cell FF for area optimization???

Thanks

Hi

thanks for the reply

in terms of circuit design of FF's can you give me some guide lines...

any method to follow to design a standard cell FF for area optimization???

Thanks

disclaimer: my company (MunEDA) works in this field.
steadymind's post referred to layout optimization; in this case, your MOS widhts are given and all you want to do is optimum place&route.
We do circuit optimization: changing the devices' widths. Make some MOS 5% wider, others 10% more narrow, ... in order to improve delays, setup&hold times, power consumption, area. There are strong trade-offs. Many test benches and measurements are involved (many process corners, input slopes, output loads, ...) and must be optimized simultaneously.
See for example:
P. Tavares: Automated Numerical Resizing of Standard Cells in WiCkeD, MUGM 2012.
F. Adduci: Sizing of standard cells in worst-case process conditions in 110nm BCD9s, MUGM 2012.
You can register to see MUGM presentations at **broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.