Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Filter-Amplifier Combination Instability

Status
Not open for further replies.

philwinder

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I have a filter-amplifier setup that has to deal with very low
frequencies. 0.1-5 Hz. See attached simulation and schematic.

The problem I have is that the amplifier adds another pole and causes
a 180 degree phase shift right in the middle of my operating range. It
becomes unstable at that frequency because of the gain. I have tried to read a lot about it, but I can't find a definitive answer on how to mitigate it.

How can I compensate for/fix the instability?

Thanks,
Phil

Question 1: What is the purpose of the second stage ?
Question 2: What is the indication of instability ? Why do you think the circuit is unstable ? I see no stability problem.

Regards

Question 1: What is the purpose of the second stage ?
Question 2: What is the indication of instability ? Why do you think the circuit is unstable ? I see no stability problem.

1) Gain. Lots of.

2) Experimentation. It is oscillating at the point where the 180 degree phase shift is.

Phil

philwinder said:
1) Gain. Lots of.
2) Experimentation. It is oscillating at the point where the 180 degree phase shift is.
Phil

1.) If you need only gain, why not use a simple gain stage without any capacitors ?

2.) Although I don´t see the reason for the shape of stage No. 2 (1+bandpass), it is stable and I still see no stability problem. Did you realize already hardware ?
In this case it should be a problem of layout parasitics.

1) Because its single supply, so the signal is biased at 2.5V. Do I need the big cap to AC couple it.

2) Yeah possibly, the input is ultra high input impedance, so it could be coupling back into that. Not sure how though... I presumed it was because of that phase shift.

So just to clarify, it is only unstable due to a 180 degree phase shift when the gain is 1? And it is ok when the gain is above or below 1?

Thanks,
Phil

1.) OK, I see. That´s the reason for C1. But for which purpose C4 ?
2.) Decrease the feedback resistor from 1Mohm to 100k and the other resistor to 1kohm.
3.) Don´t worry about any phase shifts. Perhaps you mix something. Such a phase shift is only critical for the loop gain of a closed loop system. Obviously, this is not the case here.

1) C4 is to limit the gain at higher frequencies. It is set so that anything above 10Hz will start to roll off. Essentially another filter.

2) If I did that then I would have to make C1 100uF to have a high pass cut off of 1Hz. Capacitor sizes at these values become pretty large.
So I cannot do this permanently, but I will give it a go.

3) Ah ok. Great.

Cheers,
Phil

OK, I realize your problem.
But I can assure you that´s always a problem: Low- or Highpass filters with very low cutoff frequencies normally require rather large R-C combinations.
And this reqires a compromize between R and C . My concern was the 1Mohm feedback which could be one reason for instabilities.
In general, I think that in RC technology there is no real wayout.
Subaudio filters very often, therefore, are realized in gm-C-technique or with switched capacitors.

I have tried altering the value of the resistors to 100k and 1k, and there isn't any difference. The attached image is a screenshot of the oscilloscope just after the filter. If I remove the gain, then it works fine. If I add the gain, I get a signal like the one in the image.

Also, I think that if I reduce the gain to 10, so 100k and 10k, the oscillation goes away. I think so anyway. Tried so many combinations.

Cheers,
Phil

p.s. Oh and I redesigned the test pcb. No ground or other signals around the Hi-Z input, so hopefully, no parasitics.

Hi,
are you sure that power supply is well decoupled?
Regards
Z

Its decoupled, how well is well? I have a couple of 10uF's and a couple of 100nF's. Thats usually ok. But I havent got any power supply filtering as such. Straight from the bench power supply.

Phil

Hi, philwinder !

Question: Did you check the last gain stage alone - that means without the filter circuit ?

Good point, no I did not. Just the filter and front end. Unfortunately I am going to have to use a signal generator because the incoming signal is contaminated with mains. And I would bet that it will work fine.

Even so, I'll give it a go, thanks.

Phil

Hi, PHILWINDER.

As far as I remember - we didn´t speak up to now about the opamp TYPE !
Perhaps you are using a type which is not universal-compensated, which means not stable for low gains ? It just came into my mind..........
Good luck

Hmm, I'm using a TLC27L4 at the moment, but only because I had it in my parts bin. It doesnt mention anything about being compensated, so I presume it is.

And also, only the filter is at a gain of 1, and that seems to be working ok...

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.